Saturday, July 09, 2005

peek and boo discuss god

Somewhere in this land. Mid morning. Off stage sounds of field workers. Two enter.

Peek: Her food is good and she has a kind heart but her house is full of icons.

Boo: The widow is an honest God fearing woman.

Peek: Which God does she fear?

Boo: Well, the man up stairs, who else.

Peek: So you see God as a man?

Boo: Yes, an all powerful, all seeing man.

Peek: So could this man create a rock?

Boo: Well, yes, a rock should be no problem for him.

Peek: And could this God of yours lift any rock?

Boo: God is all powerful so lifting a rock should be no problem.

Peek: So could your God create a rock too heavy for him to lift?

Boo: God can do anything, so I guess so.

Peek: But if God could create a rock too heavy for him to lift then there is something he cannot do, namely lift that rock.

Boo: Hold on there, your fancy talk has confused me.

Peek: It wouldn't be the first time. I will go slower. Your God can't be both powerful enough to lift any rock and powerful enough to create a rock he can't lift. Even he can't have it both ways.

Boo: Well, I guess I see that, to be honest I had been thinking that God was more of a spirit or a presence. Kind of like the air, required for life, in all things and everywhere.

Peek: Oh, I see not so much omnipotent as omnipresent.

Boo: You and your big words but, yes, God is the spark in all things.

Peek: The spark in the birth of a child or in a pleasant summer's morning?

Boo: Yes, something like that.

Peek: But is he the spark in things that are evil, the death of a hero in battle, the murder of a child?

Boo: Well no, I don't think he is present there, if he was he surely would stop it.

Peek: You would like to think so but you don't think he is present for the bad stuff anyhow, so he is not omnipresent.

Boo: That big word was yours not mine but I see what your getting at, maybe he is not all powerful and maybe he is not everywhere. Maybe God is just love.

Peek: So God is just love now. So why don't we pray to love, or worship love, why do we have a different word?

Boo: Peek, my head is beginning to hurt, my stomach was nice and full but now it feels tense. You and your questions, you're a pain in the arse.

Peek: You're right but I still wonder why we have a different word, if God is just love?

Boo: Listen Peek, we can go to the inn and talk politics, religion, the old "in and out", we can even talk of God. But no one would ever talk of love. That is why we have a different word. We don't even know what that word means though many a fool has lived and died for it.

Peek: Many a fool has died for God and many a fool has died for love. That is true.

Boo: And many live for both. Look Peek, I try to fill my stomach when I can. I'll fumble with the widow's daughter in the barn if she'll let me and if she won't I'll drink as much as I can. That and a few other things are life. I need a drink now and the scrivener owes me one, he'll be at the inn as usual scribbling away, let's go.

Peek: Yes, let's go.

Mid morning. Off stage sounds of field workers. Two exit.

For more of peek and boo ...
peek and boo discuss power

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just out of interest, do you have control over what font is used in this blog. My close-up eyesight is good, but the present font (Is it Verdana?) is sometimes hard to read, especially in dark grey as opposed to black.

am said...

I will look into this

am said...

Some changes made. It was not as simple as I thought it might be because all of this stuff is template driven and their are limitations on flexibility.

does it look better?

Anonymous said...

yeaf

am said...

changed the whole template, hope it still is redable. there were some limitations to the other template.