Wednesday, December 21, 2005

trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

- Joyce Kilmer


Keystone Forest photo courtesy of Nancy

For more information ...
joyce kilmer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that I shall never see a billboard as lovley as a tree

Anonymous said...

I think that shall eventually see a spell check as most a nice as a tree

Anonymous said...

"The only thing that can save the world is the reclaiming of the awareness of the world. That's what poetry does.

Allen Ginsberg said that, did he have Kilmer in mind .. maybe not but it is a nice thought

am said...

I don't know much of Ginsberg's work but I guess 'Howl' does capture a time and place and a love.

I like the 'stream of consciouness' quality and the relenting forward movement.

It was fairly daring stuff to write in 1955, even in Berkely! Read it!