Sunday, November 27, 2005

fall picks

In spite of my intent to drink more Italian wine, France still dominated this fall with 20 wines. I also tried 6 from Italy, 4 from Spain, 3 from Canada, 2 from the US and 1 from Portugal, Australia and Germany. Ouch! my liver must hurt but there were some great wines drunk, here are the top fall picks.

1. Veuve Cliquote Ponsardin, Demi-sec - Riems, Champagne, France (18/20)
"I challenge anyone to drink this and not like it", for more tasting notes look here.

2. Abrazo, Garnacha & Carinena, 2003 - Spain (18/20)
"fruity, peppery, light, cheap and bloody nice", for more tasting notes look here.

3. Nino Franco Prosecco, - Valdobbiadene, Italy (16/20)
"a refreshing sparkling white, not too dry, a good, cheap alternative to champagne"

4. Tres Picos, Garnacha, 2003 - Campode Borja, Borsao, Borja, Spain (16/20)
"blackcurrant, earthy, leather, expensive but nice"

5. Chateau Thieuly, Sauvignon Blanc & Semillion, 2004 - Bordeaux, France (16/20)
"gooseberry, citrus, grassy"

6. Beaurevoir Tavel, Rose - Chapoutier, Rhone Valley, France (15/20)
"dry, fruity, minerally, slight tannins, a classic rose"

There is just so much good French wine, I must try harder to extend my sampling beyond the riotous Gallic borders. Revelations this season included the sparkling wines which I have always avoided. Thanks to my wife for introducing me to Tavel which won me over to rose, look for the distinctive braille on Chapoutier's label and give it a try.

Of course Beaujolais Nouveau season is upon us and although no Nouveau made the top list I have enjoyed drinking some of the Beaujolais cru, namely the Morgon from Joseph Drouhin and Moulin-A-Vent from that great marketeer Georges Dubeouf.

I expect the winter season will see us crack open some more sparkling wine to celebrate the festivities and some hearty reds to savour before a wood fire. Before then I hope to give my liver a little rest, poor thing.

For more information ...
veuve cliquot
abrazo
prosecco
tres picos
beaurevoir tavel
sorry no link for chateau thieuly

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would abolutely recommend everyone buy at least two bottles of the Prosecco as it is lovely. also, I would buy some Tavel from Provence, even though it is rose (and I wouldn't say i am a fan), it's really good.k

Anonymous said...

Searched thru the fairly good selection here but could not find any of them.

am said...

Well, keep an eye out for Prosecco or a light Spanish red, maybe in Galway?