Saturday, September 24, 2005

this week I am drinking


This week I am drinking Champagne of which I am by no means a big fan. It can be overpriced and overrated, the dryness is often too much and I find it causes a burning sensation in the throat or even heartburn. Combine this with the reputation it has among the 'ignoranti' of rappers and footballers and well, let's just say I am put off buying it.

I have typically tried the Veuve Clicquot yellow label which is dry and produces (for me) the burning sensation described above. This week however my in-laws introduced me to the Veuve Clicquot demi-sec. This wine has a creamy smooth finish with a fruity, biscuity taste to match. This is a champagne to have with desert or even on its own. It is a little pricey at around $CAN35 ($AUS39/25EURO/17UKP prices will vary by region) but if you have something to celebrate try this champagne rather than the more popular yellow label.


For more information ...
veuve clicquot demi-sec

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a bottle of Alsina & Sarda cava in the house. Been here since last Chrimbo.
My mate mentioned that it should be always stored lying down so the drink is in contact with the cork. Otherwise it's ruined. Ours have been stored standing up.
It's not going to stop us drinking it at some stage, but can we expect the quality of the Cava to be as good as when it left the winery?

Anonymous said...

Just seen that you have a security measure (retype the letters shown) in place when posting a comment.
Were you having a problem?

am said...

Your mate probably knows more about this than me but here is what I understand.

Champagne should be stored on it side because this will mean that no air is in contact with the cork and therefore there is no chance of the air escaping. If air escaped there would be a loss of pressure in the bottle and it is the loss of pressure that will ruin the champagne.

Unless the bottle you have is vintage (i.e. it has a year on it) then I would suggest drinking it sooner rather than late (e.g. don't leave it for more than a year or two).

'Cellaring' wines is a finicky matter, you need to ensure consistency of temperature and humidity so unless you have the right conditions I wouldn't bother. Just knock them back.

(The word verification feature stops posts that are just automatically generated and are usual spam directing people to a site selling something.)

Anonymous said...

"Unless the bottle you have is vintage (i.e. it has a year on it) then I would suggest drinking it sooner rather than late (e.g. don't leave it for more than a year or two)."
Do you contradict yourself here?
Anyway consider it history.

am said...

I guess, I mean if it is vintage then I would expect it to last a longer time than if it was non-vintage.

I am no expert in these matters and my advice is that for the bottle of wine an average person (like me or you) will buy; they should all be drunk sooner rather than later.