Thursday, September 29, 2005

weaselhead epiphany

I went for a run this afternoon in the Weaselhead. This protected park is five minutes drive from our house but in every other respect is a world away. Leaving behind the baseball diamonds and soccer pitches of suburbia, you enter a very accessible piece of nature within the city. I ran on the main path as far as the bridge which is around 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) and then returned via the forest. The forest path winds up and down away from the river and onto the escarpment that forms the southern boundary of the lake.

Growing tired I left the main path and slowed to a walk on a back woods path which led to an opening in the woods. Sitting down on a fallen tree, I could hear the wind teasing the leaves off the birch and willow. These deciduous trees are 'standing down' so the evergreens can regain their preeminence in the forest for the winter. The spiders webs catch the light as well as the flies and all seems peaceful.

A voice whispers, ' this planet is wasted on humans'. I stand up and feeling like Adam, an intruder, I leave and return to suburbia.


For more information ...
weaselhead

No comments: