Tuesday, November 15, 2005

the simple life - why and who?

Our life is a series of responses to questions. The choices we make define our answers to questions such as when? where? how? what? who? and why? The choice to start work at 8am is a response to a when? question. The choice to be a lawyer is a response to a what? question. The choice to put your family first may be a response to a why? question.

Even though some of our responses feel determined, we do have a choice. We choose to live in a house that requires a mortgage so we go to work at 8am because that is when 'the man' expects us. We could choose not to go and this would have its consequences but we could choose. Our life is a series of chosen responses.

The responses we choose for certain questions can drive the responses we choose to other questions. For example, if I chose that what I want is to be a lawyer then that will dictate how I realize that ambition. The what would also affect when I could achieve that since I will spend a few years at college. Similarly I could decide that where I want to live is the Outer Hebrides, so that will dictate what I can work at and how I will live my life. Our life is a series of chosen responses that are connected.

However it does seem to me of prime importance to understand our response to why? and who? questions and let those guide us in answering the other questions. If we are unclear on the meaning of our life or who we want to share it with then the answers to the when? where? how? and what? questions will be nothing but a distracting drama. Eventful, even amusing but purposeless.

A clear understanding of the responses you choose to the why? questions and the who? questions in life will focus you on the important. The unimportant will fall away and your life can become simpler, not easier but simpler. Come back for more, there is more, this simple life is far from easy and needs more work.



For more information ...
the simple life - time and disorder
outer hebrides

No comments: