Tuesday, March 28, 2006

peek and boo discuss optimism

Somewhere in this land. Rising light. Faint whistle of awakening birds. Two enter.

Peek: Ahh! Morning has broken, like the first morning.

Boo: Broken wind more like!

Peek: Ahh! Boo, you look at the world with such dark eyes.

Boo: My eyes are hardly open at this ungodly hour. If it weren't for that farmer and his spelt.

Peek: It is true we have to tend the fields but is not everything for the best, in this the best of all possible worlds?

Boo: You are sounding suspiciously French this morning, be gone with you and your chatter!

Peek: And isn't the morning beautiful and are we not lucky to have work so we can fill our bellies and gargle a draft or two?

Boo: I do my work, I eat my food and drink my beer, that is true.

Peek: There you go then, is it not a fine world we live in?

Boo (irritated): But what I do says little about the world, not that there is much to say.

Peek: But there is a whole world with so much going on and so much that could be changed, so that it could be better.

Boo: I do my work, I change my world, I cultivate my garden not my neighbours.

Peek: Ahh! I sense a Gallic soul beneath that Saxon skin.

Boo: My skin is hard from turning the sod, my soul, ..... well, I am not sure of what you speak.

Peek: Ahh! my lowly Boo, you are too modest, you are the philosopher king of the gleaners.

Boo: Christ! Peek, shut up. We have fields to tend, let's go.

Peek: Yes, let's go.

Rising light. A chorus of birds now fully awake. Two exit.


the gleaners, jean-francois millet, 1857

For more information ...
candide
peel and boo discuss the simple life
peek and boo discuss life and meaning
peek and boo discuss thought and action
peek and boo discuss existentialism
peek and boo discuss writing
peek and boo discuss god
peek and boo discuss power

1 comment:

Mr. Big said...

I'd like to fight Boo...I think I'd kick his ass...