Tuesday, August 09, 2005

so who am I

So, who am I?

When I was eight my sense of self was constructed from a number of elements such as: I was a boy, I was a son, I was a sibling, I was Irish, I was Catholic, etc. At different times, different elements contributed to a greater or lesser extent toward my sense of self. When I made my first communion, the 'Catholic element' would have dominated. When I watched Eamon Couglan running for Ireland at the Olympics the 'Irish element' would have dominated.

Now that I am in my late thirties the elements include: I am a husband, I am a father, I am a man, I am a son, I am a sibling, etc. The relative priorities of the elements has changed and some have dropped off the list altogether.

So, who am I?

It is said that all the atoms in the human body change every seven years. So my physical nature is not constant and we can see from above that my sense of self is subject to change. I am reminded of Heraclitus' idea that everything is in flux. His saying 'no man can cross the same river twice, because neither the man nor the river are the same', seems to capture our predicament.

So, who am I?

Heraclitus not withstanding, a river that is frozen in winter, flooding in spring and meandering lazily in summer is still a river. It is a river because it is bounded, it is a river because it is a place where water can flow.

So, who am I?

I am a bounded physical being where thought can take place. It seems like I have ended up at Descartes classic 'cogito, ergo sum - I think therefore I am' position. What kind of a personal life can I build upon this cornerstone? Certainly I would see a rational, examined life as opposed to an irrational, unexamined life. Thought is the mother of action and Descartes' maxim establishes the primacy of that.

Establishing thought as a prime element of existence makes many nervous. The Nazi's misinterpretation of Nietzsche's concept of 'Übermensch' was perhaps an abuse also of Descartes' maxim. I view 'cogito, ergo sum' in an inclusive rather than exclusive way. The smallest scintilla of thought validates existence rather than existence been validated by higher thought. So perhaps this all helps with the question of who am I?

So, who am I? ..... I think. ..... I should try harder to be who I am.


For more information ...
heraclitus
I think therefore I am
Üœbermensch

No comments: