Monday, March 03, 2008

if you go down to the woods today

I went with my son for a two hour walk in a woods close to our home recently and in the spirit of 'giving something back' I decided to pick up any rubbish I came across.
Below is just a selection of what I gathered.
Pieces of plastic, some domestic in nature presumably from other walkers, some from fertilizer bags from the adjacent farmland.
Yuck! tissues.
The mentality of someone who has finished with a lighter or battery and decides to throw it away astounds me. Presumably the sunglasses len was lost accidentally whilst walking.
Of course, it is crucial to keep hydrated when hiking!
Oh yes! and keep your energy levels up with some sweeties!
Transparent plastic is easily missed but not when there is lots of it thrown about.
The brown plastic thing is a protective cover for saplings that have been planted, it does a useful job but it too in the end becomes litter. The other stuff is some aluminum foil and wire.
Orange peel will decompose within a 2 year time frame but the yellow balloon and green tennis ball a dog has chewed will take longer.
Oh yes! Did I mention that if you walking make sure to keep hydrated something with lots of sugar should do the trick!

If you go down to the woods today, don't mess it up!


For more information ...
magog trust

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In all fairness, that amount of rubbish in two hours is not all that bad.
Good post though. I am on my own personal crusade against litter for the last while.