Friday, October 14, 2005

heart broken heart mended

Last week my father underwent heart surgery to have a triple by-pass and a valve replaced. The operation took place in Dublin, Ireland meanwhile I was in Calgary, Canada 6609 kilometers (4107 miles) away. Such is the life of an emigrant, such is the life of an emigrant's father.

I have become accustomed to the feelings of uselessness and to the sense that in some respect I have abandoned my family. I have become accustomed to experiencing major family events by proxy through the telephone, internet or photos. I have become accustomed to these things but I am not happy about it.

My father is doing well and when I talked to him I was struck by his thankfulness, optimism and peacefulness. I am still learning from him.

Something inside me made me leave my hometown and my home country. I have created a life and a family away from there but it has come at a cost for me and my family.

Would I want my child to do the same?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"uselessness" - I don't think so. I find your telephone and internet contact very supportive, and I know mam and dad do as well.

am said...

cheers.

Anonymous said...

beautifully written Alan. totally appreciate the sentiments. would also like to be there to make tea, sandwiches, anything, however small.

Anonymous said...

would also like to be there to make tea, sandwiches, anything, however small.
Sounds good - 2 sugars and a hang sangwish please.

am said...

no sugars but I'll take a marietta

am said...

kimberly, mikado and coconut creams