Friday, June 02, 2006

varietal variety


Curious to understand how many varietals I sampled in the last year, I reviewed my wine diary and came up with the incomplete list below.

Certainly it reflects exploration beyond the grapes that typically make it into our glasses but vitis vinifera* holds more room for exploration as is evidenced by wikipedia's also incomplete but more exhaustive list.


white

ugni blanc
colombard
viognier
marsanne
parellada,
macabeo
xarel-lo
chardonnay
monastrell
prosecco
riesling
sauvignon blanc
semillion
grechetto
jaquerre
chenin blanc
gewurtztraminer/traminer
pinot gris
gros mansey?


red

carinena
garnacha/garnaga/grenache
trebbianno
tempranillo
shiraz/syrah
mouverde
cinsault
nebbiolo
pinot noir
pinot meunier
malbec
gamay
cabernet sauvignon
cabernet franc
merlot
aragones
casletao
triacadeira

For more information ...
*vitis vinifera - the main grape species used in wine making
grape varieties

8 comments:

C said...

Why did I give up drinking again?

Oh yeah, because I'm an idiot.

jmnsw said...

what no verdelho??

fivespice said...

that's an awful lot of grapes, did you make up a few yourself?

is it just me or is that picture rude?

am said...

No I have not tried verdelho even though I have tried some wines from the Douro region of Portugal where verdelho is used.

Must try it.

I think fivespice that it must be just you, it is just a bunch of grapes not a rude picture.

fivespice said...

exactly! have to agree with jer1ch0

am said...

Ah! now I see you two are very observant or very 'something else'

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you keep a wine diary - it used to be how many pints of guinness and possibly a cuzza afterwards - how times change...

My favourite new discovery was viogner...and any red wine from Montepelliciano....not sure if I have spelt that right

am said...

Yes, I do keep a wine diary but it is only to justify my indulgences.