Sunday, February 04, 2007

the four seasons


Recently listening to Vivaldi's 'four seasons' I find myself surprised that I like them, as I had developed a distaste for them in the late '80's.

That time in Britain was dominated by the excesses of Thatcherite culture. It was a time of Gordon Gecko and 'greed is good' and the four seasons formed a musical backdrop for the last declining days of Margaret and her yuppies. The music became as common place as Constable's Haywain is on place mats and because of that probably undervalued, at least in my mind.

With a fresh and unprejudiced ear I have begun to listen to them again and found them to be great. My wife bought me Roberto Michelucci's take on them and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It almost makes me want to go out a buy Nigel Kennedy's take on Vivaldi. In particular I like the faster parts from Summer and Autumn, the allegros and presto.

Give them a listen, let me know what you think.

  • Concerto No. 1 in E major, Op. 8, RV 269, "La primavera" (Spring)
    1. Allegro
    2. Largo
    3. Allegro
  • Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 8, RV 315, "L'estate" (Summer)
    1. Allegro non molto - Allegro
    2. Adagio - Presto - Adagio
    3. Presto
  • Concerto No. 3 in F major, Op. 8, RV 293, "L'autunno" (Autumn)
    1. Allegro
    2. Adagio molto
    3. Allegro
  • Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, RV 297, "L'inverno" (Winter)
    1. Allegro non molto
    2. Largo
    3. Allegro

For more information ...
Antonio Vivaldi
the four seasons
Nigel Kennedy
Margaret Thatcher
wall street
hay wain
the four seasons recording by Roberto Michelucci

1 comment:

jmnsw said...

I have the Keendey version, perhaps toast and swap?
G. and I saw him perform it in the Sydney Opera house the Friday night after G.s Mum died. We had the tickets and G. could not go home 'coz of the hip operation so it was a kinda sad occasion but Kennedy is such a show-man he took our minds of the whole sad affair earlier in the week. I must drag it out and have a listen.