Thursday, January 04, 2007

liquidation

After reading liquidation I find myself reaching for that big book all of us have in our libraries, diminished though they be. The book which tells us what we should know or that which we already know but of which we unsure. Fumbling between 'post-coital' and 'Potenza' I find that expletive post-modern. The definition alludes to a 'late 20th century style, a distrust of ideologies, a deliberate mixing of styles and conventions'.

I don't understand the term because for me it always referred to an art that contained within itself a criticism of the form itself. It contained an allusion to its creation and a criticism of it. I never found it to be modern, let alone post-modern. Hamlet, for instance, I find to be post-modern as evidenced by the play within a play. Ulysses by Joyce must surely be post-modern and yet this term persists, and yet too, there must be some relevance for it as a descriptor. Or is there any relevance to it beyond the stylistic concerns of the Sunday supplements?

Liquidation suffers the fate of many books from late 20th and early 21st century writers who try to leave something of significance and yet the paradox is that they are generally nihilistic or cynical in their approach. The act of writing a book is essentially positivistic in nature and yet the doctrine they preach is pessimistic. Can a trumpet be blown that rallies people to their own demise? Perhaps, is what Beckett would say, and yet be assured I would not make this argument at the vanguard of conservative ignorance but rather in the shadow of such bold intellects.


'work makes one free'

I wanted to like this book and yet feel let down by the author, Nobel prize winner though he may be. Liquidation it is a good book that goes beyond the story telling narrative of a beginning, middle and end. It does seem to capture the succession of events that make up a life and the sense that their is very little of a story to relate. There is a sense that the story is lost, is abandoned, is discarded and maybe in some sense we all discard our own story. It is a 'degenerate art' that surely Hitler would have burned but yet it survives. Unfortunately, I believe it ultimately fails to make a connection with the Holocaust in spite of the words, in spite of the author's own life story.

But perhaps, in asking the questions, in presenting what is at times a contrived story it does achieve some awareness of an event. As you can see I am conflicted in my response to this book, a definite re-read is in order. However, I was left, thinking that I should go to Auschwitz.

Perhaps, he succeeded. Perhaps.

For more information ...
liquidation
Imre Kertész
post modernism
Auschwitz

4 comments:

jmnsw said...

Funny I never really made all that much of a connection with the jewish thing tho' obviously it is present very much in the book. I thought the mixing up of time sequences was a little annoying. Overall it was a little too clever for it's own good, tho etrally i am whinging i did enjoy it enough to pass it on to you. I got the book as I liked the cover, it mentioned Kafka and Beckett on the cover and it was a short read. After that everything else was a bonus I suppose. How does it, in yuor opinion compare to Beckett. I have this half assed idea of reading all the Beckett works this year in chronological order....Then again I may just do my job come home and have a beer or two.

Who knows?!?!?

am said...

Liquidation has no where near the cleverness, insight or humour of Beckett. Yes! humour. I have always found Beckett to have a very Irish sense of humour, lots of word plays and self deprecation.

I think trying to read all of Beckett's works in chronologiccal order would be a daunting task even though many are quite short. I still have much to read.

I would recommend the following which are in chronological order.

Waiting for Godot (1952)
Endgame (1957)
Krapp's Last Tape (1958)
Happy Days (1960)

You would be able to read these in the course of a few days. Beckett has a language which although different than Shakespeare, like shakespeare it requires 'getting into'.

Endgame is my favourite even though it reworks much of what is in Waiting for Godot. I find it more humourous and insightful. Krapp's last tape is interesting and Happy Days is quite sad (mind you, they all are).

I have seen all except Krapp's last tape on stage and they are definitely worth seeing live. Plays are meant to be watch and heard not really read but becoming familiar with the text helps.

Beckett's works


Good books on Beckett and his plays are:

Damned to Fame - Jmes Knowlson (critique and biography)
Beckett's Dying Words - Christopher Ricks (critique)
Beckett - Al Alvarez (critique)

Anonymous said...

I hang my head in shame.
I have never read Beckett and have only ever seen Rockaby on tv. It starred Penelope Wilton and was excellent.
Oh, and Footfalls.

jmnsw said...

I got the "Damned to Famer" on your recommendation it is on the ever increasing but interesting to read list. I did scan it briefly. As the resident Beckett expert I will follow your guidance. There are some Beckett plays on here at moment but of course are all sold out. I think I'll dive in and then check the critiques.

I seem to recall seeing a play (Wordless??)by Beckett on TV with two (?) guys walking about in a square ?? Any ideas what it was?