Tuesday, September 04, 2007

labyrinth

A labyrinth is quite distinct from a maze, it does not confuse the walker it guides them. There is a single path through the labyrinth and a single path out. Whilst it does not promote confusion, it certainly promotes thought.

(Calgary labyrinth based on the Chartres Cathedral labyrinth)

In the labyrinth you often seem near the centre when in fact you are far away and when you seem far away a few steps brings you quite close to the centre. The labyrinth is an unfolding journey, as you walk you get to know the labyrinth in a way beyond seeing it.

There is a well developed connection between the labyrinth and religion, many churches feature the labyrinth even though it predates Christianity and transcends western culture. The symbolism is evident and often exploited, 'there is but one path that leads to god', etc.

(Labyrinth at Ely Cathedral)

The practice of walking a labyrinth provides an occasion for reflection similar to that of kinhin, the walking meditation of Zen Buddhism or the stations of the cross in Catholicism. The Celts in Ireland used the word turas for a journey of a spiritual nature, they too depicted labyrinths.

Today I walked an unusual labyrinth at Ely Cathedral with my mother, a nice journey to share together.


For more information ...
labyrinth
kinhin
lough derg
ely cathedral

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this idea.
But should they be walked slowly while meditating or can you rush through them with an open mind? Should there be a purpose to the walking? I presume you turn around and walk out the same way.
I ask because there is a quadruple labyrinth in Kiltimagh that I thought I may investigate.

am said...

I recommend walking them slowly, be conscious of your breathing. I often think about the labyrinth and where I am within it, do I see near or far from the center, what is the symmetry? etc.

Is there a purpose to the walking? Nothing as hard and defined as a purpose but like any journey some change should occur, I would suggest not looking too closely for meaning, it will creep up on you.

I think there is an etiquette to labyrinths which says you walk back the way you came and you respect the boundaries of the labyrinth even though you could just walk across them.

Keep it light, enjoy it, no shaven heads required, no earnest expressions.