Tuesday, August 01, 2006

half way

So how long will I live? The following is certainly not scientific but it is amusing.

The life expectancy in Ireland is 77.73 years and I lived there for my first 21 years. In the UK it is 78.54 and I spent 8 years in that country. I am glad I spent 7 years in Canada as the life expectancy there is 80.22 years. Finally the life expectancy in the US is 77.85 and I spent 2 years stateside.

Calculating my life expectancy from the average life expectancy for each country and weighting it by the time spent in each country, I come up with the following.

((77.73*21)+(78.54*8)+(80.22*7)+(77.85*2))/38 = 78.36 years

So I will live to 78, which means that I will meet the grim reaper sometime in 2046. If I go all 'Cardinal Ussher' and calculate exactly how many days .36 of 78.36 translates to, the grim reaper will sharpen his scythe on Friday May 11th at 9.36 in the morning, just after my final breakfast.


By then my son will be 42 and if he had a child at the same age I did, that child would be 6. So I will see my son mature to the age of 42 and my grandson to the age of 6, if I and they are lucky. This is certainly not scientific and it is quickly losing its humor. When put like this, 78 does not seem long enough.

Today I am 38, almost halfway there.

For more information ...
life expectancy
rank order life expectancy
first world war sketches
cardinal ussher

4 comments:

am said...

Good idea! Better make sure I'm not busy filing taxes when the grim reaper is ready for me.

am said...

Oh, sorry to hear that, I must send flowers, lillies or chrysanths?

Mr. Big said...

Happy Belated B-Day!

Hope you enjoyed a baked potato, the gourmet treat of the irish for centuries!

am said...

Thanks!