Thursday, August 17, 2006

not so constant gardener

I find gardening both relaxing and challenging. Relaxing because it gets my mind off work and other nonsense, challenging because of its unpredictable nature.

One can design a bathroom and due to its static nature you can define what you want and then work to get it. You can design a garden too but dynamic and unpredictable variables like weather and plants make it more difficult to get what you want but in many ways more rewarding.

Our garden is pretty simple and not too impressive, occasionally however we have a dramatic success. Two years ago it was our delicious tomatoes, last year it was the potatoes, this year it is the Asiatic lilies. Any fool could grow these, they take little care and just need to be planted in full or semi-shaded area.

So, overall I would not describe myself as a constant gardener. My neighbours on the other hand, that is another matter for another post.





For more information ...
lilies
the constant gardener

4 comments:

raindog71 said...

ooooo...pretty!

I start out with good intentions gardening..I buy the plants, taking into consideration the colour flow, height variation, etc. Everything you would need to have a nice little garden.

Trouble is, after I'm done planting it I want it to be able to fend for itself. Once it's in the ground it should be able to survive, right?

Apparently NOT.

am said...

That's what I liked about these asiatic lilies, I literally have done nothing with them after planting. In th autumn I will 'dead head' at that is it!

There is something quite Zen about gardening that appeals to me.

José said...

you should have seen our garden last summer, my god!

am said...

I should ahve but I didn't, oops sorry!

:-)