Friday, June 03, 2005

rain and cold

Calgary's winter is long, it's spring is short, it's summer is better than Englands and it's autumn is short. There is a quick synoposis of the weather of Western Canada.

At the moment we are having a lot of rain, springs 'last hurrah' before we get our good summer. A good summer is predicted (base on El Nino or is it El Nina or both?) and it usually provides more days of sunshine than the summer in Ireland or England.

I have yet to plant anything in our garden. My clematis are beginning to come up but the real experiment this year is wheat. I really should have it planted already but I will try to plant it in the next week or so. Calgary's summer is relatively short but intense, so growth is rapid.

You may wonder why I want to plant wheat? Well wheat is the crop of the prairies so it is my effort to become horticulturally Canadian. Grain elevators are one of the architectural sites of the Western Canada, these are simple structures that are used to store grain. Somehow I think mine will be stored in a bucket.

For more information ...
http://www.kconnolly.ca/Elevators/Alberta/index.html

No comments: