Monday, June 06, 2005

this week I am drinking

This week I am drinking a Carmen Reserve 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon. It comes from the Maipo valley which lies to the south of Santiago and dominates Chile's wine industry.

Upon first tasting to me it seems fullbodied but perhaps the tannins dominate the fruit a little too much. Louise gets the blackcurrant and cassis (the classic cab taste). I have decanted it which is good for softening the tannins (so I am told) perhaps in a day or so it will grow on me.

Just had a quick look at the profile on their website and they have included 10% syrah (spicy) and 5% merlot (plummy/chocolatey). I don't like it when the label does not state exactly what is in the bottle. It is difficult enough trying to figure out the complex tastes of wine without incomplete labelling to confuse us innocents.

Will try tomorrow and let you know what I think then.

For more information ...
http://www.carmen.com/VentaNet/asp/pagDefault.asp

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

labelling to confuse us innocents.

Innocents - my arse. You sound like you know your wine. Been takin' lessons from the Aussies then?
perhaps in a day or so it will grow on me.

Will the bottle last that long?

am said...

Some reds will last for a few days some won't even last one day.

We have a simple gadget that allows you to take the air out of a bottle and this helps it last.

Anonymous said...

and sometimes the wine tastes better the next day.